Re: schedule for DebianDay at LinuxTag 2.0

From: Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info>
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 00:40:38 CEST

* Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [040527 07:59]:

> This won't work since we don't have slots that start at *:30. All
> slots start at *:00.

If the speakers won't fill a fill slot, we could force them, or we could
just leave the room empty.

I dislike the idea of running the room idle. And I won't tell speakers,
that they should fill their talks with some more stuff, if the topic may
be covered with a short talk.

So I fear we can't avoid to start some talks at half past something, but
I'll reduce them, in version 3.0 of the schedule.

> a) There is no explicit lunch break. This is how the schedule was
> handled during past years for both workshops and the free
> conference program.
>
> Rationale: Only very few people will want to listen to every talk
> on a day, so they will probably get a chance to visit a caterer,
> bakery or the booth to fetch something to eat/drink. Also,
> those who plan to attend all talks can still have a
> lunch-package that they can use when the speaker changes.

That was my first idea, but after Geert Stappers mail, I asked in
#debian.de in irc and opn. At least 10 people thougt, it would be a good
idea to have a luch-break. No one (but me) thought we don't need one.

> b) There will be an explicit lunch break, i.e. an unused slot during
> lunch-time.

Allthough I dislike the idea of having an unused slot, no one will stop
you from setting a talk from an other project in this slot.

> c) There will be a talk of a completely different scope in the
> "lunch-slot", so that those people who listened before, won't
> attend this talk and hence have a break.

But the talks allready have a different scope!
CDDs, FAI, Hurd, Kernel-Packaging, sarge, di-internals, building DEBs,
backporting infrastructure, UML (perhaps).

On the one hand it is quite easy to find two talks, which cover qite
different topics, where you could guess, that no one would like to visit
both of them, but on the other hand, people tend to go talks, which
cover quite different topics.

I will visit the Hurd talk, since I know nearly nothing about it,
and the FAI talk, since it might be interesting for our university.

> You can still move some talks to the next day as long as there are
> unused slots. That way, you could install an explicit lunch-break
> without losing content.

I just got the request for a talk about user mode linux, but still
looking for a speaker (someone sugested Thorsten Sauter, but I couldn't
reach him, yet).
If I find one, it will be held on an other day, since I realy like to
stop discussing about the schedule and concentrate on more important
things - the UML request just arrived, when I finished version 3.0.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander