Re: Linuxtag 2004: Different Stuff

From: Daniel E. Atencio Psille <dea@atencio.de>
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 07:43:33 CEST

Am Di, den 25.05.2004 schrieb Gaudenz Steinlin um 21:43:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:29:22PM +0200, Daniel E. Atencio Psille wrote:
> > Am Mi, den 19.05.2004 schrieb Gaudenz Steinlin um 11:36:
> >
> > I finally managed to get hands on my PowerBook G3 and am now trying to
> > use your image. It boots well (oh yeah -- the olde CD-ROM drive
> > scratches itself to death) into yaboot but refuses to boot any further:

[Error Description]

> > After that the OpenFirmware prompt appears, but the CD-ROM is still
> > scratching... odd.
>
> I suspect that this isn't a problem with the iso image but a problem with
> either your CD or your CD-Drive. Are you sure you don't have any scratches
> on your CD or your CD-Drive is corrupt or dirty. I think the scratching
> indicates that the Drive has problems to read the CD.

I used new CD-R, so the media shouldn't be the cause of the errors. But
either the way I burnt the CDs (tried two) or the drive may be the cause
indeed. I only knew that this CD-ROM drive has got some troubles reading
"cheap" CDs (the thin ones with the near-to-translucent coating) so I
used "better" ones. Anyway, since I have no more 4x-CD-R that I know to
work with this CD drive, I don't see an opportunity to do any further
testing :(

Hopefully I'll find a spare 4x-media somewhere ...

> > Anyway, everything works fine under i386 :)
> >
> > > If you are still interested in dual-boot images for LinuxTag I will try
> > > to automate and improve this process.
> > >
> > > Gaudenz
> >
> > I'd be also interested in some more technical background :)
>
> You can find the command I used to burn the image in the same directories as
> the images.

Found that already, thanks :) Since I suggest my further questions being
OT I'll give you a PM.

> Gaudenz

Best regards,

Daniel