Re: Linuxtag 2004: Different Stuff

From: Daniel E. Atencio Psille <dea@atencio.de>
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 17:29:22 CEST

Am Mi, den 19.05.2004 schrieb Gaudenz Steinlin um 11:36:

[snip]

> I just succeeded in building a dual-bootable i386/powerpc image. It's
> just a combination of the i386 and powerpc netinst beta4 images and some
> manual hacking in the Release file. You can find the image and the
> script I used to burn the image on
>
> http://www.soziologie.ch/~steinlin/d-i/netinst-ppc-i386/
>
> This probably needs some more testing, to be sure it is really bootable
> on the majority of i386 and powerpc hardware.

I finally managed to get hands on my PowerBook G3 and am now trying to
use your image. It boots well (oh yeah -- the olde CD-ROM drive
scratches itself to death) into yaboot but refuses to boot any further:

"cd:2,/install/powerpc/vmlinux: Unknown or corrupt filesystem"

This happens when I simply hit "Return" or enter "install-powerpc".

Currently, after I tried "expert", it seems to work...
<scratch, scratch>
"Please wait, loading kernel
    Elf32 kernel loaded...
ramdisk load failed !"

After that the OpenFirmware prompt appears, but the CD-ROM is still
scratching... odd.

Anyway, everything works fine under i386 :)

> If you are still interested in dual-boot images for LinuxTag I will try
> to automate and improve this process.
>
> Gaudenz

I'd be also interested in some more technical background :)

Best regards,

Daniel

--
Daniel E. Atencio Psille <dea@atencio.de>