Re: Covers for 2004 Pt. I

From: Lennart Droste <Lennart.Droste@recht.uni-giessen.de>
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 22:18:44 CEST

Zitat von Sven Hoexter <sven@timegate.de>:

> I realy like the idea of
> http://lennart.droste.eu.org/debian/2004_cover_fahrkarte_vorne.jpg
> but "Einzelfahrkarte" is misleading! You're allowed to use the CD more then
> once by definition the definition of free software.

Thats a good point. When I thought about the "ticket to freedom" I was just
thinking that you will never go back to use another system therefore you just
need one drive, but I didn't think about that aspect.

> Additional I think it's too much german for a frontcover that should attract
> people coming from different places accross Europe or even from the other
side
> of the earth. And always keep in mind that you need quite some space for the
> sponsors.

I was thinking about this, too. But then again I though that the LinuxTag is a
german event. And when you come here and get stuff for takeaway and as a
personal memory, wouldn't it be nice to have something in german on it?

When I take a look at some stuff I got from several events like the LinuxTag I'm
always happy to have some localized memories like a cd with a french intro
hence it is from France. This makes me hold the memory of that event closer as
I would when everything would be in english. Apart from this, the debian system
itself on the cd does incoorporate a english languagefile doesn't it? So there
will be no problem for english-speaking people to use the software.

Additionally what about the german visitors that might not be fluent in english.
They might not use the cd as they might think it is too complicated since it is
in english.

> http://lennart.droste.eu.org/debian/2004_cover_hand_vorne.jpg
> That one looks too simple.

Thats what it is intented to be. Simple and eye-catching.

> http://lennart.droste.eu.org/debian/2004_cover_matrix_vorne.jpg
> Matrix style is out and boring.

Yea, I also start disliking the overuse of matrix-related layouts. I just felt
like I had to do this one :)

> http://lennart.droste.eu.org/debian/2004_cover_suedsee_vorne.jpg
> No space for sponsors left and no Debian colors.

Do the debian colors have to be on the front-cover? I was inspired by this one
when walking through the city today and having a look at a local travel agency.
Sommer is coming and with it some nice memories to be created, time for
recreation and new possibilities. I thought this cover would lift off from
other normal software-covers. Instead of showing a cd, a keyboard with a hand
or a screenshot with code it simply shows a nice recreational landscape. :)

And for the space of the sponsors: their logos will be placed on the backside of
the cover right under the installation instruction. So there will be no space
needed for their logos on the front-cover.

Thanks for the comments,

--
Lennart Droste stud.jur.
Alter Wetzlarer Weg 80