Re: Cover proposals (was: Linuxtag 2004: Different Stuff)

From: Christian Weerts <christian@familie-weerts.de>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 20:46:14 CEST

Lennart Droste wrote:
> Zitat von Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>:
>
> > It would be a good idea to skim over the mails we exchanged wrt this
> > issue last year as well.
>
> I've just signed up to this mailinglist so therefore I don't know about the
> solution you found last year. Maybe someone could point me to the result that
> you've archieved last time so I might have a glimpse impression of what it
> might look like.

Take a look here:
http://armadillo.ffis.de/~cw/debian/lt02/cd/artwork/latest/front-cover.png

and look at this tarball:
http://www.familie-weerts.de/Linux/Debian/covers-cd_lt03-XCF.tar.bz2

> > The CD cover needs to contain several "strings" in order not to
> > confuse people too much, such as
> >
> > . LinuxTag 2004 special edition
> > . i386 architecture (or i386 + powerpc if it'll contain both)
> > . 3.0 woody (or sarge)
> >
> > And there also needs to be room for sponsor logos
> >
> > I also have the feeling that the black background is a bit too dark.
>
> I got an email from Christian Weerts who - as far as I know - did the layout
> the
> last time. His idea of the cover-artwork is quite fine I think. As I've just
> been to Karstadt I had a look at the new music-album from the band named "D12".
> I like their cover-artwork and maybe it might be a good pattern for the Debian
> Linuxtag edition.

Don`t use any Artwork you don`t have license for! Maybe you`ll ask the
Musiclabel...

> Taking the idea of a wireframed hand by Christian, I would generate a black
> background with a gray wireframed hand. This hand then holds the planet earth -
> merely the planet lays inside the hand - and the fingers of the hand grab
> nearly inside the planet. The picture of the world could be toned down to black
> and white and the Debian swirl in his red could be painted across it.

Ok, here is my idea I`ve had as Joerg pointed me to some Graphics. My
intention was to take this [1] hand mirroring it so there is a pair of
Hands and place the following things on them. On the left I would put
the Swirl and on the right hand I would put some Sign for Freedom (maybe
a Dove). Above the two hands should be place for a slogan like this:
        "Remember, all you get is real free..."

[1] http://ic.ucsc.edu/~legnitto/images/graphic/tux.jpg

Christian

--
Ein Regenbogen, der eine Viertelstunde steht, sieht man nicht mehr an.
 (J. W. von Goethe, dt. Dichter, 1749-1832)