Re: Debian Booth at the Linux-Kongress

From: Christoph Berg (cb@df7cb.de)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 19:04:18 CET

Re: To debian-events-eu@lists.debian.org in <20031008154648.GB2625@heim-d.uni-sb.de>
> http://www.df7cb.de/debian/linux-kongress-2003/

It's been a while since the Linux Kongress took place here in
Saarbrücken, but I still want to give a short summary of the Debian
booth there.

The booth was mainly organized by members of the university's unix user
group (thanks Arne!). The congress organizers were so kind to provide
free access to all Debian staff members (thanks go to Uli Weis and
Martin Schulte). Joey sent us posters, we very much liked the A0 version
of [1].

We started setting up the booth on Tuesday, when the congress tutorials
took place. The Max Planck Institute provided us with two Dual-Pentiums
and one very strange x86 box from SGI. Debian was quickly installed on
the former two, but the SGI refused to boot from anything that did not
look like a SGI install CD. We got network access through WLAN on a
laptop running Sid. The debian booth also provided net access to the
neighboring NetBSD booth. As most visitors were busy with the tutorials,
there wasn't much activity around our booth.

The main congress programme started Wednesday. Thomas Lange and
Constantin Hellweg demonstrated the FAI installer on two machines. Many
people came around and asked us about FAI and Debian in general. We
didn't have CDROMs to hand out, but burned some Woody images on request.

The social event took place in a café on the campus, and was much fun to
be there. Unforunately, the official key signing party was quickly over,
so people coming 5min late had to ask for signatures themselves.

The closing day, Thursday, went along with further FAI demonstrations
and people visiting the booth.

Andreas Steinel took some pictures of the booth. [2]

Overall, I must say that it was definitely worth the effort of running
the Debian booth at the Linux Kongress, as Debian was mentioned by
several speakers during their talks and people could come by to get in
touch with Debian people.

Christoph

[1] http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/mike.html
[2] http://w5.cs.uni-sb.de/~lnxbil/14.10.2003_LK/LK200301.html

--
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, http://www.df7cb.de/
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes, 0681/9657944