Re: -Events-

From: Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 07:46:45 CEST

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 02:12:27PM +0200, Daniel E. Atencio Psille wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 20. Juli 2003 13:41 schrieb Joerg Wendland:
> > Michael Banck, on 2003-07-20, 13:17, you wrote:
> > > We'd have to settle on a presentation format first. At least at DebConf,
> > > every single presenter so far seemed to have used a different
> > > presentation engine. From something KDEish to a Docbook-browser combo.
> >
> > IMHO this should not be a problem. A good and simple (which it should
> > be for presentations anyway) design should be adaptable to a wide range
> > of formats/systems.
>
> ACK. IMHO we don't have to settle on a specific format - a standarized
> template would do a much better job.
> Since "standardization" should only affect Fonts, Font sizes, a nice
> Background and similar (all in all just e few items) it shouldn't be too
> difficult to implement it. I could do the job for OOo as soon as I know which
> image to use for the background, which font and so on ...

Note that there is also the nice advi presentation tool which i package.
It uses latex sources, and special presentation macros, which when
compiled to dvi and viewed trough advi will give you nice presentation
like effects, can launch external stuff (disabled by default for
security reasons though) and so on. Since it is latex, you can generate
any kind of format afterward. I just wanted to mention it, since Andrea
told me it sounds like a nice tool and he didn't know about it. You
would have to preload the fonts though (pressing F once the program is
launched) and it only works with standard tex fonts for now.

Anyway, to come back on topic, if any kind of standardization is done,
it would be nice to have a latex package (debianslides) for this too,
but then i personnaly don't believe in uniformity, and i don't think it
would be a good idea for debian to force us all to a common mold. All
the conferences slides where usually very goodly viewable, and it would
be better to give recomendations for the cases which where not or
something such, than force us to use a given presentation software with
a strict format or such. Why not use powerpoint in this case ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther