Re: Language of talks at LinuxTag / Debian Day

From: Christoph Berg (cb@df7cb.de)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 14:35:52 CEST

Re: Re: Language of talks at LinuxTag [Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>, Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:41:07PM +0200, <20030718204107.GK14873@finlandia.infodrom.north.de>]
> Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > Of course I ask visitors at our booth in german "may I help you", since
> > most visitors are german.
>
> And then they answer "Ugh, could you repeat that in English", then you
> do and everything's happy. No problem as long as people are not too
> shy to say a word in a "so called foreign" language.

I'd suggest to put little flags on the Debian badges so people can see
which languages a DD at the booth speaks. It would also show people
where DDs come from (assuming the first flag would be the the DD's
native language). As the badges are already colored, printing shouldn't
be a problem.

(The DPL will then have to decide whether or not he wants to have a
German flag next to the Austrian one ;-)

> > PS: Yes, I know that I suggested my talk in german or bugy english and
> > later forgot to ask the auditors. But nobody complained about that in
> > my presence.

It depends on the target audience. I myself didn't get much from the
"Debian Day" talks, as most were targeted to end users. These talks
should be in German. The technical talks would be in English.

And of course speakers would have to decide on the target audience
before their talk, because addressing both audiences will make both
either bored or confused.

> I once developed a talk in English with English slides all over, asked
> the audience whether they would likt to have it helt in English or
> German, but they opted for German. Too bad, the slides didn't match
> the talk anymore...

I don't mind German talks with English slides; in fact, that's very
common here at the CS department. But along the reasoning above, "user
talks" should be all-German, I suppose.

Christoph

--
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, http://www.df7cb.de
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes, 0681/9657944