Re: status update LT 2003 CD

From: Eduard Bloch (edi@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 17:13:07 CEST

#include <hallo.h>
* Sven Hoexter [Mon, Jun 02 2003, 08:01:45AM]:

> > Why don't you include his other backports? A new version of XFree86 will
> > be useful for a lot of people. And KDE 3.1 from kde.org, too.
> 1. Every backport or new upstream version is a few kb or even mb larger so
> we would have to skip other packages.

Who cares? Please skip less useful packages rather than excluding
important things - like decent X11 support for any modern laptop.

> 2. Backports did not went through all the Debian QA cycles

Who cares? I do not much.

> These are my Top 3 reasons to not include big backports like XFree or KDE.
> I asked about this topic in February and got this answer:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2003/debian-events-eu-200301/msg00111.html
>
> If you offer me a plan wich packages I should skip for including a new
> XFree I'll try to find some time to test if it's possible.

I suggest:

xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn
elvis-tiny
nvi
wfaroese
ipmasqadm
cfengine-doc
cryptcat
dact
gftp-text
grace
icewm
icewm-lite
php3-imap
php3-mysql
php3-ldap
freeciv-xaw3d
dillo
dvb-zapping
proftpd-ldap
proftpd-mysql
proftpd-pgsql
pstngw
postal
openam
ohphone-basic

All of them do IMO do not match the needs of the target user base (at
least not the things they may need immediately after installation) or do
just duplicate another packages except of small changes (say
proftpd-pgsql vs. proftpd-mysql).

Gives you 18MiB.

MfG,
Eduard.