Re: LinuxTag::Description::Debian

From: Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 10:45:56 CEST

* Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [2003-05-31 09:31]:
> somebody should translate the German description for Debian which is
> online at http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/LinuxTag2003/projects.php3
> into English and submit it to the LTP system or to me so I can update

I couldn't parse the German version fully. I think some words are
missing here: "Software auf andere Komponenten zugreift verbunden
mit". Also, s/sicher/sichert/

Here's my translation, the last sentence is probably not good, though:

The Debian Project is a collaborative effort to create a free
operating system, known as Debian GNU/Linux or simply as Debian. The
Debian system currently uses the Linux kernel but ports to the Hurd,
NetBSD and FreeBSD kernels are under development. Debian systems
using the Linux kernel are available for 11 architectures, which makes
Debian an excellent system for porting efforts. Debian consists of
100% free software and offers a Social Contract which ensures the
sustainability of the system.

Debian offers great features to maintain and update your system
without much effort (even remotely) and is therefore very well suited
for servers. Due to the achievements of the Debian deskstop project
which aims to make Debian more usable, Debian can also be used for
desktops.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com