Re: nochmals wegen der CD / DVD zum LT

From: Michael Bramer (grisu@debian.org)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 08:08:21 CET

    On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:22:12PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
    > #include <hallo.h>
    > * Sven Hoexter [Fri, Jan 24 2003, 09:50:56PM]:
    > > > Why? For the compression utility? In the last version (in Sid), there is
    > > > a more efficient tool that does not need to keep the whole image in the
    > > > memory while compressing it.
    > > I thought that you have to write the whole iso somewhere bevor you can burn it
    > > but Grisu said something about doing this with pipes. I will look into this
    > > topic when I did my first steps with the debian-cd stuff - in one or two
    > > weeks I think ;)
    >
    > Actually, it depends on what you mean. You have two ISO images while
    > mastering KNOPPIX. One is written from the native Debian filesystem and
    > can be compressed on the fly. The result is the big KNOPPIX file that
    > takes 99% of the KNOPPIX-CD. Then you need another mkisofs to create the
    > Knoppix-CD-ISO, together with the boot-floppy, docs, demo files, etc.
    > The problem is: this external mkisofs run needs to know about the file
    > sizes. You cannot fool it with a pipe getting data from the process
    > compressing the internal KNOPPIX volume.
    >
    > I can imagine a way to work around this problem, using multiple
    > sessions. The problems:
    >
    > a) It is not known wheter all BIOS types will boot from multisessions CDs
    > b) Knoppix' boot image needs modifications to load the KNOPPIX volume from
    > a hidden session
    > c) Klaus' CD mastering scripts need some changes

    We need this all, only if we make some Knoppix like system...

    for the record _I_ said this:
      If we make a DVD, on this DVD will be the normal 'KNOPPIX' directory with
      the normal big KNOPPIX file. From this DVD you can burn a normal
      Knoppix-CD with a mkiso and a cdrecord on the fly with a normal pipe.

    If you like to make a remastered Knoppix, you need space (>1GB) and you can't
    use the pipe...

    Gruss
    Grisu

    --
    Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
    "Unix ist ein Konzept! Windows hat garkeins (oder wo sind die Gemeinsamkeiten