Urgent: HCT 2003

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 21:10:36 CET

    I guess, it's high-time to check if everything is in place for the
    booth at the HCT starting on Thursday (if I'm not mistaken).

    I need to apologize that I repond this late, but I'm under high
    pressure with only little time left, and I had also hoped somebody
    else would to the coordination.

    The current staff list lists the following people:

                Name Country ZIP City Hardware Booth
     Andreas Müller DE 50xxx Köln Powerbook, PS/2 Do-So
     Ayman 'XSnack' Negm DE 20xxx Hamburg 2x Desktop Do-So
     Fabio Massimo Di Nitto IT Do-So
     Jan-Hendrik 'Gromit' Palic DE 24xxx Kiel Indy Do-So
     Martin 'Joey' Schulze DE 26xxx Oldenburg So

    So on Thursday there should be enough people to set up and maintain the
    booth. What about machines and other equipment? Is everything in
    place? Is everybody taking enough power chords, power expanders,
    network cables and hubs/switches with him?

    The above lists 5 machines, but Fabio, Gromit and me will probably
    take a laptop with us, so we need at least 8 ports. Since large
    network cables are not too common, I'd suggest the booth uses an own
    switch/hub to connect to the NMMN network so we can use smaller
    cables.

    I hope there are at least two large monitors that can be hooked to
    the desktop machines. We will probably need one machine and monitor
    as general attraction box (code name ``eye catcher'') that runs some
    cool application (like bb, some fancy xmms plugin, eRich's Debian
    animation, or some other graphical demo like xscreensavers etc.). It
    should demonstrate *only* Free software.

    The second machine and monitor should be used to demonstrate certain
    parts to the Debian system. A cool window-manager + setup is
    mandatory and Free applications should be demonstrated. Last year
    falky tried to setup the new vegastrike, so that may still be an
    option.

    Fabio offered to take a hub and two switches with him. Currently,
    especially since nobody else offered network equipment, I'd like him
    to take one switch with him if that's possible.

    For the WLAN station, I'd say it would be fun and Gromit could
    demonstrate how it works with an iBook, but that would only be an
    extra attraction and not a required one. So, if you have some place
    left, Fabio, please take the WLAN station with you.

    For the evening, it would be a good idea to plan if/when/where to go
    on Thursday, Friday and Saturday in order to gather with more Debian
    and Free Software people. For example, there are some more Debian
    developers living in Hamburg, some LinuxTag staff is there and last
    but not least Georg Greve from the FSF(E) is also located in HH.
    Hence, dinner with friends sound appropriate. This year I can't
    afford attending, though.

    For entrance, I guess that when I arrive, I can phone Gromit so he
    picks me up at the entrance if the entrance people don't know me. For
    Fabio, I guess that it would be the easiest if he received Gromit's
    cell phone number (if he hasn't negotiated with Wolfgang yet).

    Anything left for me to check?

    The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin