Re: Linux World Expo and Conference

From: Michael Banck (mbanck@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 23:36:50 CEST

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:21:40PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> writes:
>
> >> Feel free to estimate, how much LT Disks will be left in october. I
> >> realy hope, that woody will be realesed in the next four months, so we
> >> had to bite of the yellow 'untestet BETA!' ;)
> > I hope we will have released woody CDs since then. How about just
> > distributing CD1 of the official set?
>
> *IMO* not enough stuff for Users on it.
> There is much stuff on a official CD1 a "normal" User wont
> need. (Normal == The people we are giving the CD.)

> Yes, the CD1 *should* contain most wanted stuff, but that includes
> many Servers and things a Desktop User dont wants. A user of this CD
> should insert them, run through the Install (without need of
> net-access) and then he should have a fairly complete *Workstation*.
> If not then Debian could become a negative touch for them.

Hmm. What are you trying to say? That the people at LT are "normal"
Users, but CD#1 is not targetted for "normal" users?

Something seems to be wrong here. Either the cd-team did a bad job
evaluating the needs of our users, or you underrate them.

This is not an attack, I didn't even look at the Packages-file yet, but
I was under the impression that CD#1 should be fairly usable for
*everybody*.

Michael