[LT Infomail#4] Social Event, Network, Booth, Sleeping, Passes - Debian

From: Martin Schulze (joey@linuxtag.org)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 03:08:45 CEST

http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/LinuxTag2002/infomail-4.html
[ available in a couple of hours ]

1. Social Event

   On Thursday we are organizing a social event[1], which is meant as
   large gathering between exhibitors, speakers, project members and
   visitors. This year's social event will take place in a museum of
   modern and interactive (computer) arts. I haven't seen it yet, but
   it is said to be a rather cool place where the visitor is invited
   to touch and use everything. And this everything includes old 2600
   consoles and Amigas, for example.

    1. http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/LinuxTag2002/linuxnacht.html

   Unfortunately there is only a limited number of tickets available.
   Because of this you'll have to register for a ticket in time if you
   want to participate in the social event. You can purchase the
   ticket on Wednesday and Thursday in the LinuxTag office, if you
   tell us that you're a project member (so we don't mix things up
   with other exhibitors). Please note that there is only a limited
   number of tickets, and the amount actually reflects the number of
   people who have registrated for the social event.

   Since I'm unable create more tickets on Wednesday or Thursday,
   you're probably in trouble if you haven't registered in time but
   decide to attend later. I'm told that there's no way for you to
   get a ticket then. I'll forward registration by Sunday (June 2nd)
   evening.

2. Exhibition Network

   There will be an exhibition network to connect all projects to the
   internet (sponsored by Web.de and Datacare). In order to be able
   to plan the network properly, please check how many computers you
   plan to hook and update the number in the Edit-Form. The more
   precise the numbers are, the more helpful they are to us and the
   better we are able to plan the layout of the network.

   To the technical implementation, you should probably take cables
   and hubs with you. At least one cable should be long enough to
   connect one side of the booth with the opposite side in case there
   will only be one tp connector on one side (which is not yet decided
   btw.). The network will most probably be masqueraded, so there'll
   be enough internal ip numbers for you. There will most probably be
   one or more wavelan networks in the exhibition area that you'll be
   able to make use of.

   Please also note that you will need power cords and power
   expanders. Last year, I had to hand out my personal backup which
   left me with a gap in the office. This year, I don't have a backup
   again (dunno if they got lost or are used currently, though).
   Hence, please take enough long power cords and power expanders with
   you.

   Please consider the exhibition network as insecure and don't use
   any unencrypted network connections over which passwords are
   transmitted. I.e. don't poll your mail with POP3 or IMAP without
   tunneling it through SSH, don't use non-anonymous FTP, don't use
   telnet or rlogin, don't use any Web Content Management System
   (including the system I use for keeping projects information
   up-to-date). If you need to, please ssh into a network which you
   consider secure and use the services from there. And please note,
   that there are even exploits for exposing ssh connections, so you
   should probably not do that as well. :-)

   I've also received an acknowledge that there will be IP
   connectivity in our workshop rooms. If you want to, you may use it
   during your presentations.

3. Sleeping at the Gym Hall

   Thanks to the people who already noted that they need a space in
   the gym hall. This has helped us calculate the need. However,
   since only half of the gym hall is used, we are probably going to
   offer space to the general public. So if you haven't yet decided
   if you would like to sleep in the gym hall or somewhere else,
   please make up your mind soon. You can also find out who of your
   collegues signed up for the gym hall with this link[2].

    2. http://www.infodrom.org/LinuxTag/nili.php3?nightplace=Stadion

4. Exhibitor Passes

   Just a small note on this topic, a long version is in the FAQ[3]:
   You'll need exhibitor passes or regular tickets. Exhibitor passes
   can be received on Wednesday in the LinuxTag office.

    3. http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/LinuxTag2002/faq.html#pass

5. Booth Arrangements

   I hope that we are now able to provide an exhibition map which is
   about final. I'm awfully sorry that it has taken so long.
   However, we had to struggle with some problematic booth
   arrangements and restructuring. Even this arrangement may not be
   final but the impact of further changes are hopefully only minimal.
   Here's a general map[4] of the exhibition and here's an overlay[5]
   for your booths.

    4. http://luonnotar.infodrom.org/~joey/LT/2002/gartenhalle.eps
    5. http://luonnotar.infodrom.org/~joey/LT/2002/map.eps

6. Tables and Chairs

   Currently, it looks like we're low on furniture. If you should
   happen to be able to carry tables and chairs to LinuxTag, please do
   so. It would help preparing your booth.

7. More Concerns?

   If you need to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Best Regards,