linuxtag-img v2 tested

From: Thomas Marquart (Thomas.Marquart@urz.uni-hd.de)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 18:10:46 CEST

hello list,

I just tested the version 2 of the linuxtag-woody-intstall-image from
http://people.debian.org/~joerg/lt/images/

I consider myself a _user_. Not someone who has the real knowledge to fix
real problems, but I think my view can be helpful anyways (or especially
because of this).

first of all: great work! up to date software with nearly everything
needed.
I especially liked, that kernel-image-2.4.18-686 with its dependancies is
included. (I had to fix this on an other machine by hand when installed
form an other image last week)
Futhermore I liked, that ssl-enabled browsers (mozilla-psm, links-ssl) are
there, because I have to login at a ssl-site first to get network
connection.

Some critics remain:
* what about a choice between grub and lilo at the installation? grub is
included on the CD anyways.

* I got asked 3 times which dictionary I wanted to use: first only choice
between american/english, then with german included, and the third time
with german and ngerman included. Its nothing serious, but not really nice
:-)

* IIRC, I only checked "desktop-environment" in tasksel and got kde _and_
Gnome installed. Maybe I overlooked something, but a choice would be fine
(just like it is between kdm/xdm/gdm)

* Had to load kernel-module cmpci (sound) by hand, as usual, but fealnx
(ethernet) was not necessary. Not compiled as module, I suppose.

* locales did not generate the locales when configured during install and
no /etc/environment was present. dpkg-reconfigure locales fixed it, but I
think this should not happen. Even after this, I was unable to select
german as a language under kde (gnome is totally in german), even with a
"fresh" user.

* I logged out of gnome with some gnome-terms open and after the next login
they appear (too small) but crash immediatly. Same, if I want to start a
new one. But htis is probably a gnome-problem and nothing you can fix
easily, is it? Same for my mouse-pointer jumping around under X when gpm
is installed (had this under some other linuxes, too)

* I was glad about those packages included: xine-ui, gimp, bzip2, galeon,
cdrecord, grip, gcombust, xmms, gnome-apt and lots more

* missing packages: just a wishlist, when I'm too lazy to do the deb-lines
in sources.list :)
mpg321, sawfish-themes-extra, gtk-themes-extra (both from
debain.parsed.net), gtk-gnutella (or any other gnutella-client), fortunes

All in all, a fine thing, with wich it is possible to set up a completely
usable system without even having net-connection. I will use it for all my
future installs :-)

so, these were my comments. For answering, please cc: me, as
lists.debian.org does not want me on this list :)

greetings
thomas

--
A computer scientist is someone who fixes things that aren't broken.

(Signature generated automatically by fortune) ********************************************************** * thomas marquart * tom@uni-hd.de * http://tom.uni-hd.de * **********************************************************