Re: CD-Cover

From: Christian Weerts (chw@ffis.de)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 20:09:13 CEST

* Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [020513 00:23]:

> Hmbf. Im getting used to qiv, one more non-free s/w to ditch, can't
> somebody fix that program instead? Which viewer do you propose
> instead?

[...]

> > > I can provide an EPS, does GIMP eat that?
> >
> > He does, but i have the EPS already. I get it in b/w but i
> > colored it.
>
> Btw. if possible, try to use the LT yellow (see website) for the logo
> (0xFFD000).

I'll try my very best ;)

> In 2002 there was a sticker (circle with bars) and "untested BETA!"
> printed on the cover as well. It may be good to discuss if we need
> that as well - just in case Woody doesn't get released in time.

I'm working on this.

> > > . Black on dark grey (left side, left+above) is not easy to read.
> > > Better use a light background.
> >
> > You mean the DFSG, i think. In my new work i kicked it. My
> > wife was confused, and she could'nt read as well, so i
> > thought the front-cover looks better without it. Perhaps I
> > place it on the back-cover for the background.
>
> No, I seem to recall that the above statement referred to the Text
> "debian".

Humpf. Today i saw the images in the IE 5.0,
and must say the background is to dark! I'll set the whole
background to white instead of grey and set the hand to more
transparency perhaps.

> > > With the current design... I had some problems, since there is not
> > > enough free space on the right side and the artwork is too cool and
> > > interesting to be printed over by a logo. :-)
> >
> > That was also my thought, and i think we could place the
> > logos on the back-cover at the top and on the CD itself in
> > black. It could be enough honor for the sponsors.
>
> You'll have to negotiate for that with grisu who has to negotiate with
> the sponsors, but I'd rather expect the logos to be placed at the
> cover, just like it was done for the last two years.

Ok. Give me the logos and we will see ;)

> > What about the LinuxTag logo? Should it be placed on the
> > front- or back-cover. As long as i know, LinuxTag isn't a
> > sponsor or give something else to the Debian-LT02-CD. Or
> > what?
>
> I'd say that it belongs to the front cover. LinuxTag is a *large*
> sponsor, they pay for the booth and take the hassle to ensure it'll
> actually be there.

Sure, I don't think about that part.

> Also this is the LinuxTag edition, so why not placing the common logo
> of it on the cover, people know it and can associate the CD with the
> correct event.

Right.

> > When we take the hand on the front-cover we must also honor
> > the photographer who made this work. Most likely she saw it
> > on the front-cover as big as we can ;). But i wrote her that
> > we only could place it on the back-cover (like all the other
> > sponsors). I'm still waiting for her answer...
>
> Can you provide proposals how to give her credit? In newspapers there
> would be a small (6pt, 4pt) note "Picture: Helen Horrible", maybe
> rotated by -90°

I will see when placed the Sponsor logos.

> Regards,
>
> Joey

Greets,
   Christian