Re: CD-Cover

From: Christian Weerts (chw@ffis.de)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 23:17:06 CEST

* Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [020512 12:32]:

> Btw. it's been added to the CD page.

Ack.

> > > qiv displays it with a black background, that's way too dark,
> >
> > Maybe qiv does'nt support transparency?
>
> Since I just got some other graphics that were looking quite strange,
> I guess so. *sigh*

You should use another viewer.

> > > also the logo seems to suffer from aliasing.
> >
> > Hmm, do you mean the Debian- or the LT-logo?
>
> I seem to recall that I was puzzled by the Debian logo, but I'm not
> sure.
>
> > The LT-logo is taken from the website in GIF-Format. For
> > that, of course, i need a high-resolution image.
>
> I can provide an EPS, does GIMP eat that?

He does, but i have the EPS already. I get it in b/w but i
colored it.

> I just took a look at the newest hand covers.
>

> I'm impressed!
>
> I like that artwork, it makes the cd special, really.
>
> Very good work Christian! I'm also impressed by your skills.

Thanks! It makes work easier... ;->

> However, here are some comments for further improvements:
>
> . Black on Red is not easy to read, better use a light red background
> if you need a background

I need a background for the upper left triangle. I could use
a lighter red, but also i thought about signal-colours like
yellow or pink. I don't know by now.

> . Black on dark grey (left side, left+above) is not easy to read.
> Better use a light background.

You mean the DFSG, i think. In my new work i kicked it. My
wife was confused, and she could'nt read as well, so i
thought the front-cover looks better without it. Perhaps I
place it on the back-cover for the background.

> . Shaded text on the left triangle looks scary. I would not use drop
> in shadows there, just use a bold plain sans-serif font
> (i.e. Arial, Helvetica, Humanist etc.)

Done.

> . Just printing the DFSG/GPL on top of the entire image
> is... umh... strange somehow. If it would be printed on just the
> ball/egg that would be cool.

Sure. But that way, i think, the globe isn't viewable, and
the photographer would'nt be happy if we change her work so
much.

> . One proposal lacks a triangle with background for the text
> "LinuxTag 2002 Edition", you should use a spcial background to
> ensure it is a different and important element.

See above. Perhaps yellow, pink or grass-green? I don't know.

> . I'd rather like a sans-serif font for the Text "3.0 Woody" as well.

I'll see. I like this font.

> . Also, you should think about where and how to place sponsor logos.
> With the current design... I had some problems, since there is not
> enough free space on the right side and the artwork is too cool and
> interesting to be printed over by a logo. :-)

That was also my thought, and i think we could place the
logos on the back-cover at the top and on the CD itself in
black. It could be enough honor for the sponsors.

What about the LinuxTag logo? Should it be placed on the
front- or back-cover. As long as i know, LinuxTag isn't a
sponsor or give something else to the Debian-LT02-CD. Or
what?

When we take the hand on the front-cover we must also honor
the photographer who made this work. Most likely she saw it
on the front-cover as big as we can ;). But i wrote her that
we only could place it on the back-cover (like all the other
sponsors). I'm still waiting for her answer...

Greets,
   Christian

--
May the Source be with you...