Re: First draft of the LinuxTag-booth

From: Russell Coker (russell@coker.com.au)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 11:02:49 CEST

On Mon, 6 May 2002 02:04, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:
> >> ARGH. Sorry für die verhunzte Mail eben.
> >
> > Ah, in that case please ignore the PS in my other mail.
>
> /ignore joey
> Done :)

> >> Dont forget the SE Enhanced Debian where everyone could try to break in.
> >
> > Vorsicht, bitte folgende URL beachten:
> > <http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9902.html#snakeoil>
>
> Yes, it is bad to say "Look, thats secure, but dont touch it". If i
> remember it right, we have this SE Setup and a big Poster with the root
> Pass. And then everyone can try to break in and damage the system. And
> it is open (everyone can look into the SE Sources).
> So i dont think that this is a problem in this case.

The main issue here is that it's not a cracking contest! Sure we'll
challenge people to try and crack it to get them interested. ;) But there's
no prizes. The main issue is to show that being root does not grant great
permissions, and that many traditional methods of cracking systems don't do
any good on SE Linux.