Re: Linuxtag

From: Eduard Bloch (edi@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 20:33:17 CEST

#include <hallo.h>
Michael Bramer wrote on Sun Apr 28, 2002 um 09:05:18AM:

> > dsl. Hmm, i must look at pppoeconf, never used that. But thats
> > theoritcal, i dont think we have DSL there. :)

It is pretty easy to setup a local DSL server. pppoe-server program is
shipped with the pppoe package, you need the file
/etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options with these contents:

lcp-echo-failure 25 pap-timeout 0 local noauth nodetach proxyarp ms-dns <ip-of-the-dns-server>

That is all, run "pppoe-server -I <ethXYZ>" and setup the system to
masquerade and forward packets from from ppp0.

To demonstrate the DSL setup, I suggest to install from CD-ROM, then
continue with base-config until you are in the http/ftp/cdrom/... source
selection. Then you switch to the second console, login as root, run
pppoeconf, enter some dummy user data and "go online".

Remember that the presentation machine and the server machine must be
connected directly with Ethernet (with our without hubs, but no IP
routers between them).

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.

--