Re: Linuxtag

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:02:37 CEST

Moin allerseits!

Thimo Neubauer wrote:

> > > One Idea: Have one (or more) Systems their and show the Install of
> > > Debian. Let the User install Debian and give help, so they can walk
> > > through a complete Setup of Debian and if they have Problems they can
> > > ask for help. So they can go home with a little knowledge about the
> > > Installer.
> >
> > We can show a debian installation if we get a forum or beamer at the
> > booth. Maybe we can show something at the debianday, but imho a show at
> > the booth is better.
>
> I'd like to man the booth too and could perhaps offer a portable
> beamer from my university (I got it for the 60th birthday of my mother
> so LinuxTag should be no problem :)

That is actually *very* cool. If we couldn't use it at the booth, I'd
like to place my hand on it for use on the workshop tracks (where the
Debian Day will be a part of), if I don't have enough other beamers.

Request for Hardware: I need two beamers for all days for the workshop
tracks. The beamer will be secured by a LinuxTag supporter who will
be in the room for the whole time, so it cannot be stolen and
shouldn't fall off of the table etc. If somebody has a chance to take
a beamer with him, please let me know. Two such gadgets are required.

> Maybe we should also show other great and characteristic things, like:

If these should be demonstrated at the booth, please remember that the
booth needs to provide

  a) a free white wall
  b) space between the beamer and the wall
  c) space for visitors to watch the demonstration

Also, it may be a good idea to make a schedule telling people when
something will actually be demonstrated so they don't have to check if
something interesting is being demonstrated all the time. Just an
idea...

Also, on shows, commercial exhibitors often place a paper watch at the
booth entitled "Next presentation at ...", this could actually be
helpful as well.

> Thoughts?

Even though I'm not such a friend of it personally, it may be useful
to demonstrate Gnome and KDE on Debian as well, including the
Debian-Menu, special configuration etc.

> I could also offer to talk about Debian on Laptops (set it up so that
> variable net location may be used), either as a special demo or by
> wearing a button "Ask me about laptops" in the booth :)

Noted.

> By the way: we should talk about who is experienced with what part of
> Debian so that we can pass on questions in the booth.

I'd say this is actually a very good idea. The Debian project is so
large and nobody can answer all questions. Knowing who is experienced
with what, could indeed be helpful. If you are feeding me with
information, I'll set up a list, which could be printed on LinuxTag so
our staff remembers it.

> And a last comment: I don't think that cramming as much architectures
> as possible into the booth is a good idea, because it looks more like

We can't demonstrate all arch's with machines anyway - or did somebody
get hold of an S/390 boxen yet? :-)

> Ok, now you can beat on my ideas :)

But why... :)

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.