Re: "professional" debian booths (was: Re: booth planning LinuxTag)

From: Joost van Baal (joostvb-debian-events-eu@mdcc.cx)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 13:23:06 CEST

    On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:51:16PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:21:51PM +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
    > > > But that does not mean it should represent itself that way. Sure, there is
    > > > no company named Debian, but why not looking more professional?
    >
    > Which did not mean wearing a suit!
    >
    > > If I were to appear in a suit to be on a debian booth, I would be
    > > not as happy to help.
    >
    > Sure. And that's not my problem. I just don't think cultivating the hacker
    > image is the correct way. Wearing a suit is neccessary for some businesses
    > but not for an Open Source project.

    OK, I spoke about wearing a suit as a worst case scenario example.
    I didn't mean that literally. Sorry for being unclear. What do you mean
    by 'looking more professional'? Wearing the same Debian Tshirts maybe?

    I believe the fact that Debian booth people are non-paid volunteers
    gives less room for things like booth policies. (Which doesn't mean we
    couldn't agree on such a thing, of course.) The fact there generally is
    less money for a Debian booth than for e.g. a HP booth, also contributes
    to the difference in appearance.

    Bye,

    Joost