Re: Linux Expo Amsterdam update

From: J.A. Bezemer (costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 13:04:48 CET

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Martin Schulze wrote:

    > Michael Bramer wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:29:16AM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
    > > > I can probably make at least 100 of these CDs, and I (or rather the DDDI) will
    > > > sponsor them so we can give them away for free. (But donations should be
    > > > encouraged of course..) I'll put the final image in some rsyncable place so
    > > > that interested parties can burn too. I have >500 paper sleeves (NL: papieren
    > > > CD hoesjes) available, so you can buy jewelcase-less CDs for this purpose.
    > > > I currently recommend Arita (74 if you can get them) which cost NLG ~1.25/CD.
    > >
    > > IMHO 100 CD's are nothing.
    > >
    > > On the LinuxTag-2000 (Stuttgart / Germany) we handout 10.000 (?, Joey
    > > can you remember?) CD's in three days.
    >
    > It was 5,000 CDs and I cannot believe this or about any visitor of
    > the Debian booth got one. I feel somewhat sad that no cd's were
    > left over and that I only got one by accident.

    Please remember that Linux Expo Amsterdam is NOT a big event. According to
    http://www.linuxtag.de/2000/deutsch/exhibition/faq.php3 there were 20,000
    visitors to LinuxTag-2000. LEAms will only have 3,000.

    Also, Linux is not yet known very well here, so it's quite hard to find
    sponsors of any kind.

    > > With only 100 free (in the meaning 'free beer') handout CD's, you
    > > don't have CD's after 1 hour.
    >
    > I don't believe the cd's should be handed out like suse crap. People
    > just take them but don't install them. That doesn't help. Imho it's
    > better to hand out cd's at request for really interested people.

    That's exactly what I had in mind. From what I've heard, this was also done
    quite successfully in London last year.

    Regards,
      Anne Bezemer