Re: non-free Packages

Subject: Re: non-free Packages
From: Roland Rosenfeld (roland@spinnaker.de)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 17:44:50 CEST

Roland Bauerschmidt schrieb am Mittwoch, den 24. Mai 2000:

> > > xanim
> > > xearth

> > wozu die beiden?

> These two were suggested by Roland R. Perhaps you can tell yourself
> wheather they are necessary or not, Roland?

xanim is a multimedia player (FLI, AVI, Quicktime, MPEG,...). There
seem to be no alternatives to this program in the distribution.

xearth is not really necessary. It shows a rotating earth on the root
window. It is a toy and can be replaced by xplanet from main, which
has a much bigger memory footprint (that's why I personally prefer
xearth). If there's not enough space on the CD, remove it.

Roland Bauerschmidt schrieb am Mittwoch, den 24. Mai 2000:

> > > pgp-i
> > > pgp5i
> > > tin
> >
> > Do we really need these packages? For pgp I can use gnupg, and we also
> > have slrn for tin. I think there are very much non-free packages, and we
> > should reduce them as much as we can.

> These packages, as well, were suggested by Roland R. Roland, do we need
> them?

I already wrote it in another mail:
- It's possible, but quite tricky to create PGP2 compatible mails
  using gnupg (you need a special perl script, to get full
  compatibility). So pgp-i (which is PGP 2.6.3i) should be on the CD.
- pgp5i can be replaced by gnupg.
- tin is a nice news reader, which is used by many people. It's not
  completely free at the moment, but the copyright allows to place it
  on the CD. BTW: the copyright will change in the future to a
  DFSG-free license.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--