Final call: Linux-Kongress

Martin Schulze (joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE)
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:33:03 +0200

Final call: Linux-Kongress

Othmar and I have discussed a bunch of things needed for the booth at
the Linux Kongress in Augsburg, 8th-10th of September. This is our
current status.

Our booth
---------

  Sponsored:
    Size: 4m^2
    1 table (160x80cm^2)
    2 chairs
    1x power supply
    1x IP supply

  Stuffed:
    2 computers running potato
      1x Andreas Jellinghaus, graphic box
      1x Stefan Luetkebrune, demo box
    1 10MBits/ TP Hub, some 3 STP cables (Stefan)
    1 8x power supply (Joey)
    1 power extension cable (Joey)
    2 130x80cm^2 table clothes (Joey)
    2 Debian Logo printed big (Joey)
    1 Worldmap (lost so far! Where is it?)
    200 T-Shirts (Joey)
    500 flyer (Franky)
    50 reports from LinuxTag (Joey)
    Some free cd boxes from JFL and Linuxland (Joey), only for VIPs, though
    Some new 2.1r3 cd sets (Blinder), only for VVIPs, though
    Edding-like pen, blank paper (Joey)
    1 or two small glas bowls to provide some sweeties (Joey, need to
      be bought, though)

  Software

   . demo box will run bb, other software should be installed as well,
     contact Blinder. Needs speaker, are they available?

   . graphics box will run different things:
     - xmatrix as background / foreground (how does one run it in foreground?)
     - several window managers including Gnome
     - Animated Debian Logo made by Franky (is it available?)
     - xlock as background task listing all developers as animation
     - GIMP with graphics tablet (Franky)
     - Auto-compile things || tail -f of buildd#1/m68k (Roman)
     - What else?

   . Both boxes will have a "demo" account and the staff will have to
     know the password. Programs to run will be placed in a directory
     in the home directory of the "demo" user, so every staff personal
     is able to change the running.

  Caveat: I don't know how much of the software part is already done.
  We have to finish the software part before the congress since we
  won't have enough time at the congress.

  I also don't know when both boxes will arrive.

  Software will be organized by Othmar *grin*

Still todo
----------

  . Printer. The last booth at the LinuxTag in Kaiserslautern has
    shown that it would be helpful to be able to print signs and
    notices online. Who can supply a printer? I guess, something
    using ink would be sufficient.

  . 1 or 2 glas bowls (Joey), will be done on monday

  . Pins. I don't know how we will be able to fixate our posters,
    banners, t-shirts etc. A bunch of small pins may be helpful.

  . Architectures. We lack a sign listing all supported
    architectures. See below. Who?

  . Freeness. Another sign missing, see below. Who?

  . Sweeties, should be bought in Augsburg directly, will be done on
    Workshop-day.

  . Timetable. I know that there are several interesting talks during
    the congress. Thus we have to make a plan who will be at the
    booth at what time. There needs to be at least one person around,
    two would be better. Thus I'd like you to tell us when you will
    be able to staff the booth at all events. It is ok if there are
    more people around, but there needs to be at least one person.
    Blinder will organize this list and post it, needs to be printed
    and put at the booth somewhere.

> add: explizit sagen, sie sollen mir sagen zu welchen zeiten sie
> verfuegbar sind und event. derzeit nur jene tracks anfuehren, die sie
> unbedingt sehen wollen. dann kann man einteilen bzw. leichter vor allem.
> at least two. wobei weiss ned wieviele leute dort sein werden. aber 2
> soltlen schon sein imho. aber wird wohl nicht so wie am LT sein.

    Othmar will organize this.

Architecture-Sign:

  Who can print something like the following on a A4 or even A3 paper
  (or both) to put it at the booth somewhere

  Released architectures
    . ia32 (intel x86)
    . 680x0
    . alpha
    . sparc
  Not yet released architectures
    . arm (e.g. netwinder, acorn)
    . powerpc
  Ports in progress
    . mips
    . parisc
    . hurd/ia32

Freeness-Sign:

  Another thing, I'd like to have at the booth is a *huge* sign
  containing nothing more than "100% free". Who can get that done?