Microcode file naming conventions?

From: Nathanael Nerode (neroden@twcny.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 10:13:36 CEST

So, what with userland firmware loading, there are going to be a lot
of firmware files in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. And they all should have
unique names of less than or equal to 30 characters.

Now, I could keep making them up as I go, but is there some better naming
system? The drivers already in the kernel do *not* follow any consistent
system. If upstream supplies a separate firmware file, there's something
to be said for using that, of course, but that doesn't seem to be the
usual case.

Already present:

tms380tr.bin
hcwamc.rbf
dvb-ttpci-01.fw
BCM2003-MD.hex
BCM2003-FW.bin
bfubase.frm
isl3877
isl3890

atmel_at76c502-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c502.bin
atmel_at76c502d-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c502d.bin
atmel_at76c502e-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c502e.bin
atmel_at76c502_3com-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c502_3com.bin
atmel_at76c504a_2958-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c504a_2958.bin
atmel_at76c506-wpa.bin
atmel_at76c506.bin
(And the Atmel driver also allows the firmware file name to be specified at
runtime!)

I'm thinking that probably every file should start with the name of the
kernel module which uses it. (Not all the existing examples do this, but
most of them do.) Any other thoughts?