New framebuffer driver for DEC PMAG-AA graphics card

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 11:30:48 CEST

    Hi James,

    we would like to ask for your opinion on whether we should use
    FB_TYPE_PACKED_PIXELS or FB_TYPE_PLANES for the framebuffer, since you
    are listed as framebuffer maintainer. But let me explain the problem
    in detail first.

    During this years' Oldenburg Developers Meeting we started to develop
    a framebuffer driver for an unsupported monochrome graphics card which
    is found in older DECstation machines: PMAG-AA.

    This card has an interesting layout. It's got 2MB of video ram,
    organized in colums * lines. Each line is 2048 byte large, and
    adjacent lines are stored next to each other. So vram[0] refers to
    the first byte in line one and vram[2048] refers to the first byte in
    line two. Together this makes it 2048 columns and 1024 lines.

    The graphic card uses a resolution of 1280x1024 and uses one byte per
    pixel, even though it's a monochrome card. All 7 most significant
    bits are discarded, or in other words, only the least significant bit
    is used.

    We can currently not unanimously decide whether the framebuffer type
    should be set to FB_TYPE_PACKED_PIXELS or FB_TYPE_PLANES. I would
    prefer FB_TYPE_PACKED_PIXELS since all adjacent pixels in one scanline
    are stored adjacently in the video ram, even though 7 bits are
    discarded between them. Also, FB_TYPE_PACKED_PIXELS is what XFb
    supports and there is a -fbbpp <n> argument which makes me think that
    it should be possible to tell XFb to ignore 7 bits between two pixels.

    What type do you believe we should use for this driver?

    For completeness I'm attaching the entire driver. It contains some
    additional patches that need to be submitted separately. In order to
    do this, I wonder if you would like to receive framebuffer relevant
    bits exclusively or if I should submit them to you and Ralf Baechle
    (MIPS kernel tree maintainer) concurrently.

    Kind regards,

    Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a good idea.