Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

Subject: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato
From: Martin Schulze (joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE)
Date: Sat Oct 30 1999 - 21:59:48 CEST

I see several problems with freezing potato in one week:

 . Our Incoming directory still contains 350MB of unprocessed (NEW or
   changed) packages. They ought to go into potato.

   Adding them just a few days before potato is frozen would be stupid
   since they can't be tested well.

   Not adding them is also stupid since they were ment for potato and
   some of them probably contain useful additions for potato (like
   OpenSSH or the new GPL'ed CAD program), or splitted packages.

 . Our boot-floppies are not ready yet. Freezing the distribution
   without working boot-floppies will extend the freeze time which
   would be a very bad idea. Adam di Carlo today told me that he
   doesn't believe that our boot-floppies will be read before
   January. (Since I haven't been able to work on them I can't say
   anything about that.)

 . When we freeze now, we will probably have to extend the freeze time
   for several weeks or months. This will make potato quite out-dated
   at the time we may release it, just like it has happend with the
   slink freeze. We should not make that same mistake again.

 . Freezing now and extending the freeze time may affect Debian being
   frozen during xmas where only few people can work on it.

 . I still haven't seen an announcement what to do with the FHS
   transition and which policy versions should be used for potato
   packages. Additionaly when I have asked other developers they
   could only shrug their head.

   There *is* confusion wether to use /usr/share/man or /usr/man,
   /usr/share/info or /usr/info and /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc, also
   where, if and when to add softlinks somewhere.

Therefore I propose to postpone the freeze (and the release) for at
least two months, hoping to get the FHS issue, Incoming and
boot-floppies resolved.

Thanks for your attention,

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.