Re: Shadow's manpages translation

From: Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net>
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 20:09:45 CET

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 06:53:28PM +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> Dear Debian German translators,
>
> It seems that some German man pages are not the translations of the
> current English man pages. Can you have a look at it, and see if they
> need an update?

Updating translations should be no problem.

> chsh.1:
> There isn't the same number of paragraphs
> The -s options is not documented.
>
> passwd.1:
> The options are not documented
> The current German translation is far smaller.
>
> Can you provide an update as a bug to the shadow package, or indicate if
> the man page is so outdated that it should be dropped (if it will mislead
> users), or just add an indication that German users can read the more
> up-to-date English man page with "man -L C <...>".

Sorry, but I'm confused. What is the source of these manpages. Both are
part of the German Manpage translation project which is maintained by
Joey (Martin Schulze).

http://www.infodrom.org/projects/manpages-de/

contains
$ wc ./man1/passwd.1 ./man1/chsh.1
  205 1358 9654 ./man1/passwd.1
   36 218 1491 ./man1/chsh.1
  241 1576 11145 insgesamt

and the passwd package contains these too (other versions!)
$ dpkg -S /usr/share/man/de/man1/passwd.1.gz
passwd: /usr/share/man/de/man1/passwd.1.gz
$ dpkg -S /usr/share/man/de/man1/chsh.1.gz
passwd: /usr/share/man/de/man1/chsh.1.gz

OK. Joey's files are not in the manpages-de package, but why?

There was IIRC also a discussion on debian-doc that manpages moved to
Alioth. Is this right? Nevertheless there are files in the DDP CVS.

I'm still confused ...

> There is an opportunity to include this update in Sarge.

OK. How about removing the mapages from passwd package and distribution
with manpages-de?

Jens