Participation at LinuxTag 2006

From: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 07:54:36 CET

Moin everybody,

after a lot of hassle I eventually gave up and left LinuxTag. I
already left the legal association LinuxTag e.V. in April after a
fucked up ballot at a plenum at CeBIT. There were a lot of other
problems and this was only the top of the mountain (at that time).

However, contrary to the other three former members who left the legal
association at the same time, I decided to continue working on the
exhibition, your booths and your presence, because otherwise you would
have been hurt instead. So this year I gave everything I could for
the last time and tried to help provide a well received show.

Before the event, during the event and also after the event there was
a lot of harassment by "officials" which made me angry. At the end of
October I've finally decided to give them a second chance and define
conditions[1] under which I was willing to continue working on LinuxTag.

There was a one-month period in which I've waited for others to
discuss the conditions and acknowledge them. To my big surprise this
did not happen. About all I got was a phone call in which I was
basically told that the board of directors is voted upon (true, but
there haven't been signs that the next plenum will end with a new
board), that there is no money to pay me and that I should try to work
2h/week for LinuxTag while an employee should do my former work so
that I don't have to work so hard anymore.

Hence, at the end of December 1st I have eventually decided[2] that
it is not possible for me to continue working at and for LinuxTag
2006, and anticipated that it would only become worse than before. So
I gave up and announced my unavailability.

If you want to attend the next LinuxTag with your project, I won't be
your contact anymore. It will be Wolfgang Drotschmann instead who
will post a Call for Projects today. (planned without talking to me
and before I left, of course)

Good luck!

Links:
 1. http://lists.infodrom.org/misc/2005/0002.html
 2. http://lists.infodrom.org/misc/2005/0003.html

Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!