Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Long printouts from Epson printers

From: Till Kamppeter (till.kamppeter@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 22:43:31 CEST

    Robert L Krawitz wrote:

    > I'm familiar (at least in reading) with continuous inking systems
    > (CIS); the Epson inkjet FAQ (http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/) has
    > quite a lot on the subject.
    >
    > Perhaps we should break the world record in the biggest digital printout
    > on next year's LinuxTag in Stuttgart/Germany.
    >
    > I don't think we'll quite accomplish that, because I don't think the
    > 1270 can do longer prints than the Stylus Pro 10000 and friends, but
    > it would still be most impressive.

    Even if the resulting paper is not the longest with exists, but 4 days
    continuous printing ov one job will be impressive.

    > There I had a booth with
    > Grant Taylor, Michael Goffioul and others about free software printing
    > and I will probably set up such a booth next year, too.
    >
    > How well did the booth do? Were people excited about this?

    They were especially excited about the photo quality of GIMP-Print, but
    they also liked the access to printer options with CUPS and its free
    GUIs (KDE 2.2, XPP, QtCUPS, KUPS). In addition, we answered many
    questions about printer support, printing in networks, and so on and it
    was a meeting of the printing developers (Grant, Michael, and me), and
    of us with other developers, especially Michael Goffioul gave a small
    talk about his new printing system of KDE 2.2 to the KDE developers.

    > Not to mention the issue of spool space; the Windows drivers seem to
    > be notorious pigs in that regard. This will take significant
    > planning, even if the printer will actually do it (which is by no
    > means a given).

    One could put a 40G hard disk or a raid array to the server only for
    printer spooling (mount it in /var/spool/cups).

       Till