Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:20:14 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi again, meeters of the world,
here's the final update mail with latest news.
- The number of participants is a bit larger than during the last years.
We're 23 so far, with a certain possibility that 2 more will come.
This is no problem at all for me - I checked out the room again today,
and it's got enough space for us. Though, all our computers and monitors
might create a substantial amount of heat (but there are windows :-).
- Sven Luther will arrive late Friday night. I'll get him from the train
station. Anyone else should know by now how he gets here.
- I made a small typo in the first version of the roadmap (already corrected):
The Mercedes Benz dealer in Oldenburg after which you have to turn right
is not namd 'Roessler', but 'Rosier'. Just to avoid confusion..
- Dinner: I have reserved desks in a turkish restaurant on Friday evening
at 8 p.m. (the same where we were last year - 'Ali Baba'. I think it's
quite ok), and on Saturday we'll drive to Oldenburg's city center to go
to 'John Benton SteakHouse' (same as last year again, also at 8 p.m.).
If you think you can't afford this, there's a McDonalds nearby, or also
As I said before, you're on your own as far as supper is concerned. A
supermarket is nearby where you can buy whatever you need - fruit, chips,
vegetables (yerch! :-), chocolate etc. Or, as we call it, programmer's food.
- Again, the list of vital things to take with you:
- Computer (haha), cabling, sockets, projects to show, networking hardware
(anything you've got, others could make use of it - even Arcnet :-), CD-Rs,
headphones&music CDs if you need it for working (I do),
hardware phreaks: soldering iron&tools, spare parts
Mark your cables/hubs etc. with labels with your name on them so
that we avoid people accidentally taking your hardware with them
if you lend something to them.
- Air matress, sleeping bag, ear plugs, coffee mug, plate, towels,
- There might be a couple of other things not in this list you regard
as vital - tell us if you know of such things.
- Phone: There is a german card telephone inside the university, but it's
only for outbound talks, i.e. it cannot be called as far as I know. Sorry.
- Entrance fee: I think 10 - 15 DM will cover all expenses (breakfast &c).
This is without drinks, but they're not expensive. We have Coke, Fanta,
Sprite, mineral water, apple/orange juice, beer, coffee, tea, tap water :^).
- You might want to compile your kernels with IP Forwarding/Gatewaying
enabled if you'd be willing to offer those without real networking
hardware a chance to take part in the network (via Slip or PPP).
For 2.1.xx kernels, activate the /proc filesystem and Sysctl support;
see Documentation/Configure.help under "CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER".
Of course, those of you using NetBSD will have to take whatever actions
are required there - I don't know enough about NetBSD to be able to
- Everyone is responsible for his own hardware. If someone stubles across
a cable and tears your computer off the desk, you will have to handle
that yourself. There is no insurance from my part.
- As usual: Drive carefully! There's enough place for everyone, no need to
Well that's it, see you on Friday!
Your host. :^)
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 22:22:28 CEST