German-French Proposal: Greens say "Too many Presidents for Europe!"

From: Marc-Oliver Pahl (info@mopahl.de)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 00:11:07 CET

    THE GREENS/EFA IN THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT

    PRESS RELEASE - Strasbourg, 16 January 2003

    French-German proposal:
    too many Presidents for Europe !

    Monica Frassoni and Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-Presidents of the Green/EFA Group in the European
    Parliament, on the German-French proposals for the reform of the European institutions:

    "Schröder and Chirac's proposal is just one of many contributions to the debate on a reform of the
    European institutions. The proposal will be discussed in the only legitimate body to do this, which
    is the Convention.

    We particularly regret that the proposal of a longer-term Presidency of the European Council as well
    as of the General Affairs, External relations, ECOFIN and Internal Affairs Councils goes together
    with an openly declared intention of strengthening the operational and executive role of the
    Council. This will inevitably weaken the European Commission. The roles of the Commission and
    Council Presidents would inevitably clash and be confused, and similar problems would occur between
    the various presidents of the Council of Ministers and individual Commissioners.

    We welcome Chirac and Schröder's agreement that the President of the European Commission should be
    elected by the European Parliament, and approved by the European Council. But there will be a
    serious problem if a similar "double" legitimacy is not given to the proposed President of the
    European Council. There is a risk of further shifting the institutional balance in favour of
    national governments, should this plan go ahead.

    We firmly believe that reform should rather aim to better define the system. The democratically
    elected European Parliament, together with the Council of Ministers, should take the legislative
    decisions. The European Council should set general political guidelines and the European Commission
    fulfil its role as executive.

    Some of the French and German Presidents' proposals are out of line with consensual decisions
    reached in the Convention. For instance, if the Council would strengthen its executive role in
    internal and external affairs policies, the elimination of the pillars structure already agreed in
    the Convention would only be on paper. Furthermore, the idea of a Congress has already been rejected
    by an overwhelming majority of Convention members.

    We welcome the idea of a European Foreign Minister, but he or she must be integrated as much into
    the European Commission as into the Council. It is important the appointment be approved by the
    European Parliament. Similarly, we believe it is inappropriate to prevent the Commission from taking
    decisions on foreign affairs and security matters.

    However, the French-German paper also contains some important ideas, that we urge the Convention to
    accept. In particular, support for the Convention as the best way to go about reforming the
    Constitution, incorporation of the Charter of Fundamental Rights into any future Constitution,
    radical changes in the budget procedure and co-decision for the European Parliament in all areas
    where qualified majority voting is used in the Council.

    Press Service of the Greens/EFA Group
    in the European Parliament

    Helmut Weixler
    Head of Press Office

    EUROPEAN FEDERATION OF GREEN PARTIES
    European Parliament - room PHS 2C85
    rue Wiertz, 1047 Brussels, Belgium
    ph: 32 2 284 51 35, fax : 32 2 284 91 35
    email : EFGP@europarl.eu.int
    http//: www.europeangreens.org