JEF-info EXTRA - EN - Letter from the President & Press Release

From: JEF-Deutschland (JEF-D@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 17:02:35 CET

JEF-Info EXTRA English 5th December 2001

English information from the Young European Federalists
ISSN 1615-3006

Send us your information for JEF-info!
English: mailto:jef-info.english@jef.de
German: mailto:jef-info.deutsch@jef.de
Italian: mailto:jef-info.italiano@jef.de

UN/SUBSCRIBE: http://www.jef.de/jef-info/

Dear members of JEF, national sections, and friends,

The XVIth European Congress of JEF Europe met 23-25 November in Vienna.
Many of you were there and participated in what were very lively
political discussions. Due to website problems, the resolutions are not
yet online but can be requested from the Secretariat. One of the central
priorities for the coming months will be the work done to follow and
contribute towards the work of the new
Constitutional Convention, due to be established at the Laeken Summit
in December. The new Bureau have produced a press release, reproduced
below, on JEF's position on the Convention process.

The Congress also elected the new Executive Bureau of JEF Europe. As the
new President of JEF, I look forward to working with all of you over the
coming two years, and emphasise my commitment to maintaining and extending
the political profile of JEF in the current political debate, as well as
strengthening the bases of the organisation on which our activities are built.

The new Executive Bureau are as follows: Vice Presidents: Jan Kreutz and
Ingvild Stub; EB members: Maja Augustyn, Peter Strempel, Saso Romanovic,
Jon Worth.

I am confident that JEF now has a strong team, ready to work together.
We are all committed to taking JEF forwards, to continue to work for
a democratic, united, and federal Europe. We ask for your suggestions,
ideas, and contributions, and look forward to working with you, as
individuals and
as national sections.

Best wishes,

Alison Weston
President of JEF Europe

-----------------------------JEF-INFO-----------------------------

PRESS RELEASE

YOUNG EUROPEAN FEDERALISTS CALL UPON
THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL IN LAEKEN to :

GIVE A MANDATE TO THE UPCOMING CONVENTION TO DRAFT A
EUROPEAN FEDERAL CONSTITUTION

Welcoming the recent Franco-German agreement on drafting a European
Constitution the Young European Federalists call on the European Council in
Laeken to give the upcoming Convention discussing the reform of the
European Union a mandate to draft a genuine European Federal Constitution.

The Young European Federalists (JEF), meeting 23-25 November in Vienna for
the XVIth European Congress, issued a call for the upcoming Laeken Summit
to take the bold and radical steps necessary to achieve a genuine reform of
the European Union. The JEF Congress emphasised that while the expected
launch of the Constitutional Convention represented a recognition of the
past failure of the traditional IGC method to deliver real change, this new
process could not be considered a success if it is not entrusted with a
mandate to draft a European Federal Constitution. JEF believes that the new
Convention process offers a real opportunity to involve the citizen in the
debate about the future of Europe, but stresses that the process must be
open and transparent and include representatives of the candidate countries
in its deliberations.

The Constitutional Convention should therefore not be limited only to the
four issues of the Nice Treaty. Alison WESTON, newly elected President of
the Young European Federalists stated: "I strongly oppose the recent view
of European Commissioner Michel BARNIER concerning the mandate of the
upcoming Convention. It should have a broad mandate and focus on
elaborating one single proposal for a European Federal Constitution"

Should the Laeken Summit fail to establish such a constituent mandate, the
Young European Federalists will urge the Convention to take itself the
responsibility to elaborate a draft European Federal Constitution and to
adopt it on the basis of a majority voting system, breaking with the
unanimity principle.

In view of the upcoming Enlargement of the European Union, the Young
European Federalists, also stress that a radical reform of the European
Union is necessary for a successful and sustainable Enlargement. The reform
process cannot be used as an excuse to block or delay enlargement, but
instead should be recognised as essential for securing the historical
reunification of the European continent. Only through the establishment of
a genuine federal system can this goal be achieved.

For more Information:
JEF European Secretariat: Tel: +32 2 512 00 53; Fax: +32 2 626 95 01;
Email: jef.europe@euronet.be
Jef Europe President: Alison Weston, alison.weston@iue.it