RE: Syslog dropping messages, udp buffer full

From: Lynch, Jonathan <Jonathan.Lynch_at_fairmontstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 19:24:50 +0000

Thank you for the replies all. I have tried your suggestions and return with more data.

Nscd service was configured correctly, but wasn't running by default, so I started it.

Using dd I tested HD write speeds with syslog turned off. Depending on the block size, I got between 1 and 172 MB/s, with a 1k block being optimal. Using vmstat with syslogging turned on, I found we are writing an average of 750 blocks/s (< 1 MB/s) while it is running. This is very small compared to the tested maximum, so it seems like disk contention should not be an issue? Or am I reading my results wrong? I also tried turning off (ext3) journaling.

Load averages around 2, but it has dual quad cores so that should not matter either?

I am just confused because syslog is such a simple protocol, it seems like it should not be having this problem.