questions/suggestion "RAM-only" log support in sysklogd?

From: guy keren <guy.keren_at_kaminario.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:51:25 +0200

Hi,

i was looking for a way to have some log messages (mostly debug
messages, that i don't want to flood the disk normally) be stored in a
cyclic memory buffer, instead of logged into a file - and only have this
buffer dumped to disk upon demand (e.g. when there is a problem that
requires debugging).

i was wondering if a patch that adds such support is available anywhere,
or if it will be considered for inclusion in sysklogd if provided.

the motivation is being able to debug various problems with various
software components the first time around - instead of having to
re-produce them with higher debug levels - and yet without filling the
disk with lots of junk and without causing too much disk activity when
there's no need to look at these logs.

note: we did consider simply placing certain log files in a RAM disk -
but we then we'll need to handle the creation of this RAM disk, very
often logrotate (to avoid having it fill up), etc - and it seems like a
more awkward solution, and less robust in case of a sudden log-flood.

thanks,
--guy