Re: IPv6 support for syslog

From: John Haxby <john.haxby_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:25:49 +0000

On 27/11/09 22:34, Martin Schulze wrote:
> The patch produce a small problem. When INET6 is not defined, syslogd
> does not seem to accept any log messages, neither from the IPv4 UDP
> port nor from the local Unix domain socket.
>
> It seems the patch requires some adjustments. Do you have some time
> for this?

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this, but I finally got time.

I can't reproduce this problem. With the patch applied and "-DINET6"
missing from the Makefile, strace shows syslogd select()ing on two
sockets which lsof tells me are /dev/log and a UDP socket bound to port 514.

Running "logger hello world" locally results in a flurry of activity in
the strace output and a suitable message appearing in /var/log/messages.

Re-starting with "syslogd -r" and configuring iptables to allow UDP
traffic to port 514 I get the same sort of thing when running logger
from a remote machine with a suitable forwarding line in that machine's
/etc/syslog.conf.

I can't see anything in the code that would prevent accepting messages
if INET6 isn't defined either.

What platform were you seeing the problem on? Perhaps I could try the
same (or similar) platform.

Would you like me to resend the patch in case the original got damaged?
(I can send it as a git patch now, of course.)

jch