Re: Problem with syslogd Version 1.4.1

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 10:18:56 CET

Dean Richard Benson wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I am fairly new around these parts (so please bear with me).
>
> I am using Linux (2.2.20) and having problems with syslogd Version 1.4.1
>
> When my system boots every so often (about every other time), my system
> hangs at the "Starting System Log Daemon" Prompt.... It just hangs
> there, and I have to restart.

Just a rough guess, do you use a remote machine as logging target?
i.e. something like (@hostname)? If so, does that name resolve? I.e.
is named started prior to that or is the name listed in /etc/hosts.conf?

Such a problem should not make syslogd hang, but old versions did.
Though, I thought that this problem was fixed long time ago.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain