Re: syslogd 1.3-0 - high cpu usage

From: Rudi Heitbaum (rudi@darx.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 05:36:53 CEST

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 07:40:40PM -0300, Luiz Felipe Ceglia wrote:

I believe that your problem could be the syncs on disk, If there
is something constantly writing syslog records, you may be able to
use the - in front of the file to write the syslog without syncing.
You should understand this risk before making the change though.

> Folks,
>
> I am posting this message again, wishing a good soul can provide me some
> information.
>
> Something I could note is that the hi cpu usage occurs when there are a lot
> of messages coming to syslog.
> Is there any way for me tho check it out?
>
> Thabk you,.
>

> >Hello folks,
> >
> >I have a linux system based on RedHat 3.x.
> >
> > >From some time to now, my syslogd start consuming more than 50% of my cpu.
> >Is there a way to trace this? Should I replace with newer versions of the
> >sysklogd package?
> >

> >My system info:
> >
> >Linux xxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2.0.36 #2 Sat Sep 2 01:58:32 EST 2000 i686
> >syslogd 1.3-0
> >klogd 1.3-0
> >
> >My syslogd is being invoked from rc as:
> >daemon syslogd -r -n &
> >daemon klogd
> >touch /var/lock/subsys/syslog
> >
> >By the way, is there a faq or a list archive or the syslogd site?
> >
> >Thank you for your attention.
> >
> >--
> >---
> >Luiz Felipe Ceglia - lceglia@terenet.com.br
> >Staff TereNet - +55-21-9135-3679
>

> Luiz Felipe Ceglia
> +55-21-9135-3679

Regards

Rudi

--
Rudi Heitbaum                Ph:  +61-3-8371 7444
Managing Director            Fax: +61-3-8371 7445