syslogd 1.4 hanging

From: Keith Warno (keith.warno@valaran.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 17:34:25 CEST

    Greetings. This issue may have been discussed and/or fixed already; my
    apologies in advance for not being able to get to the list archives to
    find out. (not getting any response from the ftp URL) :/

    I'm running syslogd 1.4 on a SuSE 6.2 box, glibc 2.1.1 & kernel 2.2.18.
    I'm running it like so:

    /usr/sbin/syslogd -r -s valaran.com

    All other linux boxes (5 or 6 of them) log to it. The problem is the
    syslogd process occassionally hangs. If I happen to be logged in as
    root it's ok cuz I can just kill off the process. If not, I'm screwed
    and have to hard reset the box (won't be able to get another login shell
    while the syslogd process is hung).

    It appears to hang if, for whatever reason, it can't resolve a
    hostname. bind is up and running on another box in the network but
    sometimes the bind box gets hammered with requests and becomes
    unresponsive, usually just for a brief second or two. If syslogd
    happens to be trying to resolve a name at the same time, it chokes and
    continues to choke even when the bind box is responsive again.

    Thoughts? Comments? Is the problem in my ancient glibc resolver
    routines or is it a syslogd problem that has been resolved (no pun
    intended) in 1.4.1? :D

    Thanks,
    kw

    --