Re: syslogd vs console

Subject: Re: syslogd vs console
From: R. W. Rodolico (rodo@dailydatainc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 15:10:04 CET

Christopher,

I am having the same problem. The following was suggested to me. I have
not tried it yet, but may do so if a resolution is not found soon.

You may want to give the 1.4 sources a try. The group that did that
release broke klogd since they forgot to change the socket type for
the UNIX domain socket.

If you want to give those sources a try simply change the socket type
from SOCKET_STREAM to SOCKET_DGRAM on line 208 of syslog.c.

Let me know if you try this, and I'll do the same. Seems pretty
straight forward, but I'd really like to figure out what is wrong with
my install. I have installed syslog with Debian (release = potato??)
and had just completed two other installs which work correctly. The
only difference I know of between the installs is that the machine with
problems

A) is a Pentium
B) has the new RAID patch in the kernel
C) has SCSI (other machines are IDE)
D) kernel was customized and recompiled

with the number of pentium scsi machines out there, I guess the RAID
patch is the most likely problem. Did you recompile your kernel?

Rod