Event Report Chemnitzer Linux-Tage 2016

From: Jan Dittberner <jandd_at_debian.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:37:51 +0100

Last Weekend we attended the "Chemnitzer Linuxtage 2016" [0] hosted by the
Technical University Chemnitz.

As usual we had a lot of nice conversations with visitors and members from
other projects. Andreas Mundt gave a talk about "Debian for beginners" [1]
and Andreas Tille gave a spontanious lecture about Debian-Med when another
speaker fell ill. The booth was well staffed, eight people signed up
beforehand in the wiki [2] and several others showed up during the event.

That gave us enough time to have in depth talks with our visitors, answering
questions and solving their issues. Our table in the exhibition area was
located side-by-side with the German Debian support community
"debianforum.de" [3], naturally a lot of requests for help went directly to
them, leaving us only with some minor problems and detail questions they
could not answer, which left even more time for us to chat with visitors and
eat cookies. Did I say cookies? Yes, we got cookies! What a nice suprise,
lovely penguin cookies, donated by two longtime Debian users, who wanted to
express their gratitude to the whole project by leaving them with us - and
we took good care of them...

We had babelbox and xpenguins running on a large screen to decorate the
booth. In preparation for the event I updated the babelbox repository [4] to
be compatible with the Jessie installer and implemented a packer setup to
build the babelbox virtual machines starting from Debian installation media
[5]. I hope that this will be of use for other teams and events.

Thanks to the CLT orga team and all helpers, we had a great weekend!

Jan - on behalf of the team

[0]: https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2016/en
[1]: https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2016/en/programm/beitrag/191
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/de/2016/ChemnitzerLinuxTage