Re: Friedrichshafen Hamfest 2016, pgDay.ch

From: Daniel Pocock <daniel_at_pocock.pro>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 19:23:06 +0100

(adding debian-events-eu)

On 10/03/16 18:27, Thomas Osterried wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 01:55:59PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>> Has Debian ever had a presence at Friedrichshafen?
>
> No
>
> Two years ago, we were three hams (one of them also an active kernel
> develloper) wo had the chance to get a small table at the DARC-Verlag
> in the Maker Hall (it was the first time the new maker fair was beneath
> the HAM-Radio).
>
> Our motivation was: showing HAMs and Makers the strength of OpenSource
> and the operating system linux.
> Especially in the ham radio community we've seen many proprietary software
> over the years (i.E. in the packet-radio world) and I see these trends
> again in the SDR movement :( Thus, showing alternatives was a good idea.

There is also the issue of each vendor (Yaesu, Icom, etc) having their
own patented digital voice transmission system. It really provides a
good opportunity for Debian to show why our values are so important and
what the world would be like without us.

> Another very good coincidence was, that it was the time the rasperry PI
> was the new cool device everyone was looking for. And the Club Magazine
> CQ DL had just a series of editions with articles about this topic.
> => We talked a lot and could give away many CQDLs especially to the
> Maker World visitors.
>

> Unfortunately, last year we had no time to do it again.
>
>> Would anybody be
>> interested in using it to publicize the Debian Ham Blend and Debian in
>> general?
>
> basically, yes.
> But we not only need other helping hands. We would need a concept what
> to show.

Showing the Debian Ham Blend and some SDR equipment may be sufficient.
Some of the SDR hardware vendors have a presence in Germany and we could
ask them if they may loan some equipment for a Debian table.

Do you think it would be good value for Debian to pay 200 EUR for a
table there and maybe provide some travel funding for people who stay
overnight in a hotel? Would we potentially get the money back from
selling T-shirts or the Debian Swiss army knives?

What was your impression of the crowd size, how many volunteers will we
need for working at a table?

Is the Friday busy, or it only gets busy on the weekend?