Re: [stands@fosdem.org: feedback on stands]

From: Arne Wichmann <aw_at_anhrefn.saar.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:08:11 +0100

begin quotation from Joost van Baal-Ili?? (in <20120213091528.GA6787_at_beskar.mdcc.cx>):
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 03:51:39PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > ----- Forwarded message from FOSDEM Stands Team <stands_at_fosdem.org> -----
> > From: FOSDEM Stands Team <stands_at_fosdem.org>
> > Subject: feedback on stands

> I've been helping staffing the Debian booth this year. Of course, I speak for
> myself.

Same for me... ;-)

> > Thank you for manning a stand at FOSDEM 2012, we hope you enjoyed it!
> >
> > This year, we changed quite a few things for the stands: we cleared
> > out the H building for safety reasons, halved the number of stands in
> > AW and tried out a new setup in the new K building. The total number
> > of stands was 10% less than the year before.
> >
> > I have tried to talk to each of you, and I think I already have a
> > pretty good idea of what was better or worse. Nevertheless, I would
> > like to ask you to take some time and write us how you experienced
> > FOSDEM and the current setup. That way, we can also take it into
> > account when planning the stands next year.
> >
> > If possible, we would especially like to hear your opinion about:
> > - how was it compared to last year (if applicable)?
>
> Better, being in the spacious K building was much better than
> the awfully crowded and packed AW hallway.

> > - what was your general impression?
>
> Good as ever.

Same for me, in both cases.

> > - what could we improve next year?
>
> Can't think of anything now... Guess it was next to perfect :)

I can: We (as the rest of the stands) were asked to dismantle the stand
about 2 hours before the end of the finishing talks, and as far as I can
see nobody of us was aware of this timing. This had the effect that quite a
big number of people possibly missed us as they expected to chat with us or
buy some T-Shirt or so after the finishing talk. I feel there are 2
possible improvements:
- Declare the time of dismantlement of the stands more prominently so we
  can tell people in time when we will be gone.
- Or even better let us dismantle after the last talk finishes.

But, to repeat my above comment: My overall impression of the event was
great - this is one of the two Free Software events I like most (the other
is FrOSCon).

Keep up the good work,

AW

--
[...] If you don't want to be restricted, don't agree to it. If you are
coerced, comply as much as you must to protect yourself, just don't support