Re: Booth at Chemnitzer Linux Tage 2012 / events organization in general

From: Axel Beckert <abe_at_debian.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:50:05 +0100

Hi,

I'll be very likely at CLT again, too. If I don't have another booth
to handle, I'll join in with the Debian booth.

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > begin quotation from Luca Capello (in <877h2jm9bv.fsf_at_gismo.pca.it>):
> >> way these should be the central point for anything event-related:

I still disagree. IMHO that's _exactly_ what these lists should be and
are. Events are local stuff and they should be handled mostly locally,
not globally.

I think it's a good idea to have central place to contact in case
local event teams need physical resources or resources outside the
wiki and the mailing lists, but nevertheless the organization and
announcements should primarily be local.

> >> <http://lists.debian.org/87tyg2g6ed.fsf@gismo.pca.it>

Gives a 404 for me. Nevertheless I can imagine what's in there.

> > I do not like the way things are handled in that mail. I do not feel that
> > centralization is a good idea for event handling, but this is what is being
> > done: events_at_debian.org is an interface in which I as non-DD can not
> > participate in. http://wiki.debian.org/CategoryEvents is global and very
> > unsorted and not very usable to alert me to what is happening.
> >
> > debian-events-eu_at_lists.debian.org is low-traffic and not moderated - I can
> > follow what is happening there, and take part without relying on a
> > centralized team. Any mechanism which replaces it should at least have
> > these qualities.
>
> Strong ack. Organizing events should not be happening behind the scenes.

Seconded.

And I'm still wondering if a German-speaking debian-events-de_at_l.d.o
list (like the Dutch speaking debian-events-nl_at_l.d.o) wouldn't be a
good idea either.

(Cc to events_at_d.o, so that they are aware of this discussion in case
they really don't follow debian-events-eu_at_l.d.o closely enough.)

                Regards, Axel

--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin