Talk on Debian packaging of Python, Python modules and Python extensions at PyCon DE

From: Jan Dittberner <jandd_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:28:56 +0200

Dear Debian Python people,

at Chemnitzer Linux-Tage [1] I talked to some guys who are organizing the first
PyCon DE [2] which will take place in Leipzig, Germany in October. They are
quite interested to get a talk on Debian packaging of Python, Python modules
and extensions. I would like to prepare and hold such a talk but would like
your feedback/input on what you would like to tell the Python development
community.

The organizers are especially interested in best practice recommendations for
Python developers to make the life of packagers easier.

They also asked me how Python itself is packaged. I will have a look at the
packaging but some kind of short summary of the most important things from your
perspective would be great.

I would like to give some best practice statements for Python module, Python
extension and Python application packaging too. From my point of view this
would include dh and dh_python{2,3}. I know there is cdbs and python-support
does exist too, should I include them?

I will suggest interested people to join DPMT, PAPT, debian-python_at_l.d.o and
tell them about #debian-python too.

Do you have more ideas about what should be said (or not said) there?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEventsChemnitzerLinuxTage2011
[2] http://de.pycon.org/

Regards
Jan