Re: FoodSDEM! (was Re: Debian at FOSDEM 2011: Squeeze Release Party in Brussels?)

From: Arne Wichmann <aw_at_anhrefn.saar.de>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:22:41 +0100

begin quotation from Axel Beckert (in <20110203132153.GE12557_at_sym.noone.org>):
> sorry for not writing earlier, but even without FOSDEM approaching
> it would be a quite busy time here at the moment.
>
> Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > >would prefer a calmer setting like going out for dinner or so, at
> >
> > My ???group??? was also looking for a place, and I insisted on Couscous
> > Merguez because I???ve yet to get some in Germany??? so Benny found a
> > place: http://madamolsen.be/
> >
> > They also have things like lamb steaks and other mixed origin foods,
> > Dansk as well if I read that weird language ??? right.
>
> Hmmm, they seem to have even vegetarian food.

And being near FOSDEM is a definitve plus.

Can it cope with 30 people?

[...]
> 1. Monk, that bar where the Debian crowd was the last two years and
> which is close to Hotel Astrid where most FSFE fellows stay. While
> it was smoke-free two years ago it was too smokey for my and
> others' taste last year. Suggested by gregoa on IRC.
>
> 2. Chez Moeder Lambic. Suggested by Fabio Rosciano in a mail directed
> to just me and Wouter. He wrote:
>
> | I was reading your messages on debian-event-eu [1] and even though I
> | won't be in Brussels for FOSDEM I'd like to suggest a possible location
> | for a nice party for Squeeze.
> | I was thinking Chez Moeder Lambic in Fontainasplein [2,3] is a good
> | choice. Here are pros and cons
> |
> | + It has a "backroom" at the end of the main room which can fit about 15
> | to 20 people, and anyway the place is never packed on a saturday
> | + Easy access to cheap and plentiful food supply in the neighborhood,
> | even though the bar itself only serves snacks
> | + Excellent choice of beer on tap and bottled
> | + Night busses have their terminal right in front of the bar, so easy
> | way home for everyone
> | + Staff is mostly english speaking
> | + Smoke free
> |
> | - Beer is slightly more expensive than other bars (no cheap lager)
> | - It's the "touristy" version of the bar in St.Gillis, and while the
> | staff is very friendly, has less character than the original
- It is not near to FOSDEM

Smokey?

> Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Now we should choose one of
> those, I suspect. ;-)
>
> Thorsten, Benny: How smokey is this Madam Olsen place?
>
> Basically my personal preference would be a non-smokey restaurant
> (with at least more than vegetarian meal on the menu) over a bar, but

                           ^ one?

> on the other hand, we currently plan to sell the first Squeeze
> t-shirts at the release party, so a room of our own wouldn't be a bad
> idea either. IIRC while the front part of the Monk bar was quite
> crowded, the back part was quite open and we would have had enough
> space for a t-shirt box besides the tables. :-)

cu

AW

--
[...] If you don't want to be restricted, don't agree to it. If you are
coerced, comply as much as you must to protect yourself, just don't support