Re: FOSDEM

From: Luca Capello <luca_at_pca.it>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:49:36 +0100

Hi there!

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:06:01 +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 15:55, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b_at_web.de> wrote:
>
> > Instead it would be greate to create USB Sticks with Debian Installer on
> > them and sell them (below cost if enough sponsoring is found). An USB
> > Stick is more likely to boot todays systems and can be easily updated or
> > reused for other things when the installer becomes too old. CD/DVDs you
> > just have to throw away.
>
> I don't think there is much incentive to buy yet another USB thumb
> drive.

I disagree, knowing that you can re-use a USB stick, I would be happy
to have one with the Debian logo on it.

Please note that Xavier Oswald (cc:ed) and debian.ch are in the
process of producing some:

  http://lists.debian.ch/community@lists.debian.ch/2010/msg00134.html

> What about a pre-loading station where people can choose what
> install media they want and then have them copied to their drives
> automagically? I don't if Debian has something similar to grml's
> grml2usb with support for parallel images or this could be adapted for
> debian's needs, though.

I guess we should adapt the already-existing infrastructure:

  http://live.debian.net/

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca