Debian meetup at FSCONs 5-7 November 2010

From: Per Andersson <avtobiff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 18:35:08 +0200

*** This is sent to debian-events-eu, debian-project, leader, and is
also Bcc'd to
*** a bunch of people in the nordic region which I found on db.debian.org.

TL;DR

    FSCONS is held in Gothenburg, Sweden during 5-7 november 2010.

    Debian meetup during FSCONS? It is an opportunity to start a Debian-Nordic
    group.

    We can probably receive some travel sponsorship for this.

Hi!

Since 2007 the Free Society Conference and Nordic Summit (FSCONS) is held in
beatiful Gothenburg, Sweden.

Debian has always had a presence there in some form, devrooms, talks etc. Last
year, when there was almost a separate Debian track, some people from Sweden
also tried to give a minidebconf during the conference.

The interest from fellow nordic Debian people was quite low though...

During DebConf10 in New York I spoke to several people from the nordic region
and discussed having meetups and maybe even forming Debian-Nordic. Many of us
agreed upon that having such a group would create a more vibrant and active
Debian community in the nordic region. It would be an awesome way for developers
to meet as well as spreading Debian and creating a platform and gateway for
interested people and wannabe contributors.

It seemed like the interest from fellow nordic Debian people was quite high!

I think there is a great opportunity here. Also, it is really fun to meet people
AFK. :-)

The Debian presence at FSCONS this year basically consists of two people
involved with Debian, and me giving a talk about using Git for packaging.

There is of course the possibility to have a Debian meetup on the side. I think
that, if some people are interested and will come, we could have a general
Debian workshop at the conference for a few hours.

If people want to take part in a Nordic Debian meetup at FSCONS I believe that
we can receive sponsorship for it.

Practical information about FSCONS

    http://fscons.org/practical-information

Best regards,