Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Michael Banck <mbanck_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:57:31 +0100

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 01:53:32PM +0100, Michael Mohn wrote:
> Am 22.03.2009 um 12:01 schrieb Axel Beckert:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 02:50:57PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
>> wrote:
>>> So, what am I talking about? Well, it's just that I don't think,
>>> that we did a very good job. Look for example at [1], where someone
>>> mistook the booth of the sidux project for our own. [...[
>>>
>>> 1: http://gallery.kickino.org/chemnitzer_linux_tage/chemnitzer_linux_tage_2009/img_0397.jpg.html
>>
>> Just talked with Sebastian (kickino) on IRC after I read this
>> paragraph.
>>
>> He seemed not having mistaken the Sidux booth for the Debian booth at
>> the fair. He just saw the "Debian logo" when writing the captions for
>> his pictures in the gallery:
>>
>> 10:44:42 <kickino> Ich wusste es nicht besser :(
>> 10:45:19 <kickino> Hab' beim Durchschauen der Bilder hab' ich halt nur
>> das Debian-Logo gesehen und deshalb die
>> Beschriftung so gewählt.
>
> Imagine this on a comercial linux-fair. one would never mistaken the
> novell booth for the redhat-booth.
> as the lesson: there always must be a prominent logo and a sign stating
> what exactly that logo means (for anyone new).

Roland Stigge donated a 1,5 x 1,5 meter swirl logo on "LKW-Plane". It's
(I hope) located at the credativ office. I asked the FOSDEM and Cebit
booth organizers whether they could use it, but the booths were too
small each time for it apparently.

> thats not hard to do and should always be possible.

Uhm, do you have any idea how hard it is to design and produce a
"prominent logo"? I assume Novell and RH spend lots of cash to
professional booth-setup companies to have their expo appearance look
professional. It's totally a different league.

If anything, we could look at how *BSD, OOo, KDE, GNOME or Ubuntu handle
their booths (they tend to look slightly more professional than ours on
average) and see whethe we can learn anything about this.

Michael