Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Andreas Tille <tillea_at_rki.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:17:19 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Smalltalk is exactly what we're doing in this kind of
> exhibitions. That's called "meeting the community", the other one, the
> *users* community. If you're not interested in that, I suggest you
> stick to high-profile technical conferences and don't run a booth
> again.

You sound like you might have interviewed those users who left the
Debian booth after we have solved their problems. I consider people
who actively try to talk to us and ask us for help solving their
problems as community. These people found what they were looking
for.

> Most people come to those exhibitions to have a look at this Linux
> thing and ask basic questions, sometimes even stupid questions. We
> answer them, show them our distro, walk them through some demos. If
> they're interested, they'll want to take a CD/DVD (or a LiveCD) home
> to try it out on their own.

I completely agree. Since 8 years I answer all kind of questions
on this event. The original posting was whether I should have my
laptop open or not when I'm sitting at a booth or whether I should
all the time smile at people passing by. I tend to ask people
coming close to the booth whether I can help and if the answer
is "Oh no, I'm just looking" I see no problem if I show the looking
person that I'm working. There are fairs where this is not proper
behaviour and that's why I do not work as booth stuff there.

> I appreciate that you gave some of your time to man a booth at an
> exhibition, but really, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it again.

Would you mind reading my mail again. I admit it was long but perhaps
you missunderstood some basic parts.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--